Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2008-09 > 1220964434

From: "Carolyn Shearer" <>
Subject: [S-I] Presbyterian? Minister
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 08:47:14 -0400

As there seem to be a much higher percentage of knowledgeable people on this
site, would like ask a question about a possible Presbyterian minister,
William Roswol.

I am working on a line of Logans from Bucks County PA who, apparently, were
not related to the famous Quaker Logans of Stenton/Stanton.

>From a history of Trumbull County OH: Charles Logan and Miss Mary Titus
married by Rev William Roswol 5-22-1817. Who was 'Rev William Roswol'?
Can not find anyone of this name in early PA or NJ records. Could it be
Roswell or some other spelling?

>From the family bible and census records:
Charles Logan(12 Oct 1794 PA-22 Nov 1878 Trumbull Co, OH, and Mary Titus (11
Sep 1796 NJ- 31 Aug 1877 Trumbull Co, OH) had at least two children in Bucks
Co, PA; Elizabeth, born 1818 and John Titus born 1821.

>From the records of the North and Southampton Reformed Dutch Church,
Churchville, Bucks County:
Membership roll, dated 1722. "Newcomers from Ireland received by
certificate - Thomas Foster and wf, daughter Margaret, and other children,
and brother in law George Logan."

Abington Presbyterian Church. George Logan married Jane Bell, 3 Apr 1722.,.
Their first child, James, baptized 1722. Southampton RDC, Bucks Co. (no
other record of the family found in the Southampton RDC records)

Bucks County Will Abstracts, Page 314. George Logan of Lower Makefield,
Blacksmith. September 1, 1756. Proved July 29, 1757. Wife Olive Logan and
Friend and Bro. John Job, exrs. Son-in-law Samuel Lawrence to be put to
school and supported until 14 yrs. of age then to be bound to a Trade. Son
James. Dau. Elizabeth.Wit: Hezekiah Anderson, Elizabeth Logan. [Note the
'son in law' is obviously a step-son. Olive is a second wife.]

I keep thinking if I could find this Rev Roswol, I might find more records
about the family. Any clues about where to look next appreciated!

This thread: