Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2008-06 > 1213480317

From: John Carpenter <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] FREE BEER ? & IRISH
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 14:51:57 -0700 (PDT)

Linda Merle claims to be no expert but in spite of being younger than I she is a couple of lifetimes ahead of me in knowledge in Scotch-Irish ancestry. But I do know that most of the early Irish emigration to America was actually from Ulster, mostly Scots lowlanders who had been pretty ,much exiled to Ireland to clear the land for sheep and wool production and to civilize the Irish. The Scots weren't too good.....they weren't C of E and the Presbyterian church (or covenanter churches) wasn't considered to be the equal of good English religion. But it was a little better than being Catholic. They had a rough life, and many of them only passed thru Ulster, some being born in Scotland, living briefly in Londonderry or Belfast or where ever and going on to America. Others stopped for a generation or more of births. But they all were listed as Irish. That makes our work a lot harder. There was always some emigration for the Irish themselves but until the potato famine
in the 19th century they didn't flee west in such droves.
wrote:
For my two cents- any true Scotch-Irish would never turn down an offer for
free beer, and to have it paid for by the Irish would be even better :).....
But actually, this is a real Scotch-Irish affair. Reason being is that
MOST American's have no clue about what is Scotch-Irish, and most American's
that are connected to this group THINK they are Irish. So if we all showed up
for DNA testing to find our "Irish" background, we may find a surprising
connection in the middle of the 67-marker test.
If you spend time doing this research, you quickly learn that the term
"Irish" is more geographical then personal. In American records and histories,
the vast majority of Scotch-Irish families are hidden behind this term. So
when we see the modern usage of the term "Irish", we should just grin and use
our "Irish" connection to avail ourselves of another useful tool in our
research. DNA testing on both sides of the Atlantic could really make significant
progress in tracing the 17th-19th centuries families. I have an American
McDuffee family who I believe is directly related to the Fortown, County Antrim
family. We have living ancestors of both families. No one in Ireland will get
tested for DNA so I'm stuck going round in circles.

Oops-made it three cents worth...
Colin Brooks

In a message dated 6/14/2008 1:24:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,