Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2008-04 > 1208796707

Subject: [S-I] PRONI Wills
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:51:47 +0000

Hi folks,

PRONI has redesigned and enhanced its website. If you don't know what PRONI is, click here: http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/new_to_archives.htm and read. (They put it better than me!).

What is added is the first part of a Will index project. Here

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/will_calendars.htm

They include a historical explanation of the will process. This was different from in America, for example, so if you don't understand about wills before and after 1858 you cannot effectively search Irish wills. If you don't understand terms like Prorogative Court -- click here:
http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/will_calendars/history_of_probate.htm

The highest court was Canterbury. If you owned land in a several of the kingdoms or the colonies, your will was probated there. An index is on line somewhere (I got ancestors in Kent) but at Ancestry is a copy of the book that contains wills of American colonalists whose wills were probated in Canterbury....not East Podunk, like you thought <grin>!! Only of value if the ancestor was well-heeled.

I don't think the Irish stuff is as confusing as the English.

I also found this website of Irish records:
http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/

Back to PRONI.... Has anyone here researched in the Archdiocese of Armagh Collection (PRONI ....I believe the actual records are closed due to fragility). At
http://www.rascal.ac.uk/collection/?ff=no&CollectionID=645&ff=no
it says this is the single most important Irish medieval collection.

The FHL has a catalog on the Armagh County Museum records.

Linda Merle

Linda Merle

This thread: