Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2008-02 > 1203366536

From: "MacThomas Admin Rootsweb.Com" <>
Subject: [S-I] Missing McComb Journal(s) -Clan MacThomas South
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:28:56 -0500

Patrons

I need the Journal that Roger F Pye referred too at the end of his
MCCOLM of
Galloway or our Clan MacThomas South. The MacThomas families that
jumped the straights between Scotland and N Ireland. Its very to
frustrating
that I can not find this Journal, not even sure what number it is. It
is only
referred to at the end of this Journal which I will post below. Due to
Copy write
reasons from both the Clan MacThomas Society or with Ancestry.com, I
cant not post the whole article, however I can post parts of it so I
will forward
the last half.
I guess you can say that this is just a big regrouping effort which
Im trying to lead, I do need everyone's help to make this work. I have
more
documents from Scotland then I do the USA, and I can post names all day
long everyday for 6 months, all kinds of variations and all kinds of
histories to
go with it. The problem is we are still stuck in the USA or IRELAND at
least those
of us whom last names are spelt MCCOMB and later MCCOMB and MACOMB,
this one
journal can spell it ALL out to ALL of us, once and for all.

If any of you have it,seen it, read it, or know where I can get it,
please let me know.
I will be sure to share it with all of you. Both Clans have been on the
MacThomas List,
not sure about any more..
See below>

------------------------------
>FWD: McColms of Galloway ( Clan MacThomas South ) Journal # 13

>From Cape Wrath to the
Mull of Galloway As early as 1479 we find one John Makcom holding a
tenement in
the parish of Wigtown, (1) in the county of same name and, if we are to
accept
the MacThomas origin of the McColms, we must conclude that about the
same time
that Tomaidh Mór left Garvamore and led his clan Southeastward to their
new home
in Glenshee, some member of his family made his way in the opposite
direction,
towards what is now Fort William, some thirty miles to the South-west
of
Garvamore, and there took to the sea, eventually settling in Galloway
(2). It
would of course only have required one such fifteenth century migrant
to account
for all the McColms of the South-west and their offshoots, whom it will
be
useful to classify collectively by the name of Clan Thomas South (3)
In early times the spelling of the name was exceedingly variable, and
Dr. Black
(4) mentions the following examples; all of them in the vicinity of
Galloway:
Gilchrist Makcome at Cassillis (Ayrshire) in 1526, Roger M'Com at
Netherglen (
Kirkcudbright ) in 1679; Robert McKome at Carsfern (Kirkcudbright ) in
1684, and
in the same year further individuals in Wigtownshire and Minnigaff
(Kirkcudbright ) using the spellings McColm, McCome and McKcom. Besides
these
examples of Black's I have found Bessie and Jean M'Comb referred to in
relation
to the lands of Kildonan, in Wigtownshire, in 1634 and 1636
respectively (5), It
is suggestive that the early chiefs of Clan MacThomas in Glenshee (or
Clan
Thomas North, as we may term it) themselves seem to have used the
patronymic
McColme, as we may infer from the fourth chief, Robert McColme of the
Thom, but
after the latter s death this patronymic appears to have been
discontinued among
the Glenshee tribe in favour of that of McComie, and it seems doubtful
whether
it has survived except among the McColms of Galloway.
Although, as has been demonstrated, the early spelling was very
variable, it has
become fixed in Scotland for some time as McColm. By the mid-sixteenth
century
some of this family had crossed the narrow straits between Galloway and
the
North-east coast of Ireland, where the name has become standardised as
McComb
******** ( with which sept we shall deal in a future issue )*********,
while others seem to have
crossed to Kintyre by the end of the seventeenth century (6).
In spite of the facilities afforded by modern forms of transport for
the
dispersal of families, the regional distribution of the McColms in
Scotland has
remained remarkably constant right down to the present, and a
comparatively
recent consultation of the telephone directories for all Scotland
revealed that
of a total of 33 subscribers surnamed McColm, no less than 29 dwelt in
the South
West ( 18 in Wigtownshire, 1 in Ayrshire and 10 in the Glasgow area),
while in
the rest of Scotland there were only 4 ( 1 in Edinburgh, 1 in Fife, 1
in Banff
and 1 in Inverness).
R.F.P.

------------------------------

1 ) P. H. M'Kerlie, History of the lands and Their Owners in Galloway,
1906,
Vol. II, p.161
2 ) See map issue 1
3 ) In the same way as the Macdonalds of Islay and Kintyre, and
McDonnells of
Antrim, were known as Clan Donald South..
4 ) Surnames of Scotland, 1946.
5 ) P. H. M'Kerlie, op. cit. Vol. I, p. 312.
6 ) Mr. Colin Campbell, the well known armorist, of Belmont,
Massachusetts,
kindly informed me that he had found a couple of references to M'Combs
or
M'Comys at Campbelltown, in 1680, and went on to explain that < There
were
numerous families brought into Kintyre from Ayrshire and the Lowlands
after the
Argylls acquired the peninsula early in the 17th century-a systematic
<plantation>, and this may explain the presence of McCombs >.
7. These last two may possibly belong to a different sept, long in the
neighbourhood of Inverness, of which Black (op. cit.) mentions Angus
McThome, in
Petty, in 1502.

>Jeffrey McComb jr
>
>http://hometown.aol.com/jjrmccomb/index.html