Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2007-06 > 1182740362

Subject: Re: [S-I] McCaughey/McCaughie/McCauchie
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 02:59:22 +0000

Hi Keith,

Without any information about their social class, religion, associates, even where in Ulster they went, we cannot help except in the broadest sense.

You should do a study to determine where in Ulster the surname clusters and also where in Scotland. You can't really learn to do this from an email, but you can learn.

Next piece of advice. If you really want to know, do a DNA study.

Last piece of advice -- have you checked Bell "Book of Ulster Surnames"?? It has your name. That means it is one of the 300 commonest in Ulster. It comes from Mac Eachaidh, an old personal name. Other variants: Caughey, Hackett, MacCaughan, MacGahey.

Some variants may come from a different name originally (Mac Eachain) but most have bcome MacCaughey. MacCaughey is a Tyrone name also found in Antrim. The surname is Irish. It does not occur in Black "Surnames of Scotland", but Bell and McLysaght give no info on its sept affiliation.
Maybe Woulfe, etc would.

So you might think about Tyrone or Antrim as places to check.

An index to all surviving Scottish parish records is included in IGI. If you check the surname there, you find many more in Ulster, despite there being a lot fewer Irish records in IGI. If they were married or baptized in the Scottish established church, they are in the index. If you find them, you order the film and hope for more details.

As the western side of Scotland is adjacent to Ulster -- not surprisingly, many Irish went there. Glasgow was a large industrial city with many jobs. Many Irish went there or nearby. Ayrshire.
Scottish Catholic records are not on line. They are held in Edinburgh but the diocese in Glasgow also has its copies. You can google and find the website if need be (that's what I do).

Just from the surname, I'd say they were returning. They probably didn't leave long before because Irish surnames asisimilated into Scots ones very quickly. Yours didn't assimilate apparently. All this is conjecture based on prior experience -- might not be correct in your case!

People went back and forth like this frequently. They had ties back home. Worked both ways -- people living in Ireland returned to Scotland too.

Scotish civil registration is on line for a fee now. That starts in 1855. You can view Scottish censuses (first is 1841) on line at Ancestry or I think it is Scotlandspeople. Google for Scottish civil registration. Both sites cost money. However we have much better records in Scotland, so you leverage those records as much as you can. It unfortunately means learning how to do this. If you google for genealogy Scotland you'll find some info. LDS (www.familysearch.org has a free guide you can download).

If you got your DNA done, you could join projects that would assist you in researching the surname to identify its precise origins. There's an Ulster project as well as Scots at www.familytreedna.com. You can join multiple projects to cover all bases. I've worked a lot with the folks at the Ulster Heritage DNA project. Very helpful. Should you be R1b1c7 you can get a lot of assistence from people like John Laughlin who know a lot about Ulster septs. Many people are working to sort them out via DNA. People can burn thousands of dollars with Irish genealogy and not get too far. A 67 marker DNA test is less than $300. It's a deal.......

DNA doesn't determine religion or ethnicity or even where people lived. So a number of Scotch Irish discover their ancestors were Irish. As the Scots were originally a tribe in Antrim, this should not be surprising. They moved to Scotland in 500 AD and eventually assimilate the indiginous Picts into Scots. Some Scots clans are now proven through DNA research to descend from Irish founders.
We must get out of the mindset that our ancestors were Scots or Irish as these folk are really the same. They largely spoke the same language (Gaelic) and had the same culture. They could go to Scotland for church and return home in the evening.

Unfortunately it can be very very difficult to make headway in Ireland before 1800. So the DNA research may be faster and quicker, if you match others who have been tested.

If others know little about the surname, let me know and I can see of any of the Ulster Irish surname gurus can assist.

Hope a little of this is of use to you.

Linda Merle