Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2007-01 > 1167891634

From: "John Polk" <>
Subject: Re: [S-I] Alison/Allison PA
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 1:20:34 -0500

Linda -

I am afraid I don't have much to help you. I have never done any research
on Allisons of Andersons per se - just looked up Patrick Allison in the
Maryland Prerogative Court probate record abstracts and found the
information provided in last message. I just checked again for items
relevant to your question but unfortunately didn't find anything that
seemed to fit the bill.

I don't know what you have already done, but I would go to genealogy
libraries and look for books on Allison family genealogy. In my area the
MD, DE and PA Historical Societies and State Archives all have good
collections of books on individual family genealogies, not to mention the
Library of Congress and DAR. They also have great stuff on local county and
provincial histories. Some county historical societies also have tremendous
resources. I have made immense progress on all sorts of lines in my family
tree just by visiting such places and reading what was on the shelves. You
can get started by checking their on-line catalogs and see what pops up.
The other easy thing to do, if you haven't already, is check the IGI at LDS
family history center near you. If you check under whatever Virginia county
Rockbridge is in, and look up Allison there may be answers there that will
give you leads to get back a generation or two. You will have to follow
that up with your own research to verify any of the claims, but at least it
gives you a direction.

Based on what I found out from MD records, the Allisons mentioned in
Rockbridge in 1760's they almost definitely were also. They must have come
by the obvious routes from MD and PA and down the Appalachians. If you get
on the Rootsweb groups for the appropriate counties (e.g. Cumberland,
Lancaster, Chester) and ask question you might get some helpful answers.

Best I can do -

John Polk

<>
> Date: 1/3/2007 10:50:50 PM
> Subject: Re: [S-I] Alison/Allison PA
>
> John, I'm wondering if these folks are connected to my Allisons and
> Andersons. You mentioned a brother, Robert. I have a Robert Allison/
> Ellison, died 1769 in Rockbridge, VA. He was married to "Ann" and had a
> daughter, Jane that married James Anderson, son of Isaac Anderson. I
know
> nothing about where the Allisons or Andersons came from but others in the
> Rockbridge area came from PA, or Maryland. Do you have anything on an
Isaac
> Anderson?Any suggestions?
> Linda A

March
> > of
> > same year. I have a copy of the abstract from Maryland Calendar of
Wills.
> > It bequeaths his land and slaves in Donegal Township on Connewag Creek,
> > Lancaster County, PA, to his daughter Grace Allison. Executor is his
> > brother, Robert Alison, who is made guardian for Grace, with William
> > Alison
> > and Capt. John Meas mentioned as back-ups in case of Robert's decease.
> > Witnesses to the will are John Hamilton, Benjamin Franceway and Jean
> > (Jane)
> > Caldwell. Provision is made for Grace's education in Philadelphia and
that
> > if she die as a minor then estate would revert to Patrick's brothers
> > James,
> > William and John and to the children of his sisters Jean Smith in
Ireland
> > and Margaret White in Kent County. Provision is also made for 10
pounds
> > be left to Rev John Hamilton for use of the Manoken Congregation
(Manokin
> > Presbyterian Church in Princess Anne).
> >
> > His inventory is dated 10 March 1748, recorded 5 November 1751, and the
> > estate account was filed 23 December 1752 (which mentions Jane Caldwell
as
> > his housekeeper). The account shows a balance of 1451/6/11 which was a
> > very large sum at that time. He was clearly well connected with the
upper
> > class of Somerset as evidenced by the list of persons to whom payments
> > were
> > made from the account.
> >
> > The inventory cites William Gray and James Gray as Allison's next of
kin.
> > The Gray family is of interest to me because they were closely connected
> > with my Polks in Somerset. It may also be of interest to you that the
> > inventory of Solomon Mitchell, dated 20 July 1744, mentions Patrick
> > Allison, along with Christopher Maughin, as Mitchell's next of kin.
> > Patrick
> > Allison also appears in numerous other Somerset probate accounts as a
> > creditor and as testator on the wills of James Martin, Robert Martin and
> > Matthew Dorman.
> >
> > I checked some Maryland land records which I have and found Patrick
> > Allison
> > described as an innkeeper in Princess Anne. He is mentioned in
connection
> > with the tract Beckford in the Maryland Rent Rolls, which was the
> > principal
> > tract from which Princess Anne was formed - it was broken up into a
number
> > of the original town lots. On 6 Nov 1745 Patrick Allison, innkeeper,
> > obtained a 10 year lease from James Anderson for 2 adjoining lots in
> > Princess Anne Town, with John Anderson, acting as attorney, and on 2 Mar
> > 1747 James Anderson wrote an 11 year lease to Allison for several lots
in
> > Princess Anne and to farm 400 acres. James Anderson is said to be from
> > Chester Co, Pennsylvania. In the Somerset will of John Anderson (1752)
he
> > refers to the 2 lots where Patrick Allison's "dwelling public house
always
> > stood".
> >
> > I should mention that there were many Caldwells in Somerset who arrived
> > there with the first influx of Scotch-Irish beginning in 1683. The most
> > prominent was a John Caldwell who was a land developing wheeler-dealer.
> > His
> > name appears on the warrants, surveys and patents of an enormous number
of
> > land tracts. Among these are three to which he gave the names of
> > Ballybuggin, Clonlett and Desert which seems to be a good indication of
> > his
> > origins back in Ireland. This is consistent with the Hearth Rolls of
> > Donegal for 1665 which has Caldwells and Allisons listed for Clonleigh
and
> > Raphoe parishes.
> >
> > John Polk
> > Havre de Grace, Maryland

Deeds,
> >> CC-123.
> >>
> >> I cannot find a will of a Patrick Allison (before 1761) either in
> > Lancaster
> >> County or Philadelphia County.
> >>
> >> Nor have I been able to find other references to him. Did he live and
> > die
> >> somewhere else?
> >>
> >> According to Bernard Steiner's Life and Correspondence of James
McHenry,
> >> p.75, David Caldwell and Grace Allison were married in Ireland and only
> > came to
> >> America afterwards (c. 1755-59).
> >>
> >> David Caldwell died in 1762. Their children were John (1759-1820) m.
> > his
> >> cousin Margaret Caldwell of Philadelphia and lived in Baltimore, and
> > Margaret
> >> (1762-1833) m. James McHenry.
> >>

> >> David Caldwell was the son of David and Margaret, and had brothers
named
> >> Samuel and John. The Margaret who married David's son John was the
> > daughter of
> >> his brother Samuel Caldwell.
> >>

> >> Grace Allison Caldwell married her cousin William Allison in 1763. He
> > died
> >> in 1787 and according to his will (Philadelphia County Wills, T-505)
> > their
> >> children were Mary, William, Grace, and Jean Allison.
> >>
> >> How were Grace Allison Caldwell and her second husband William Allison
> >> cousins?
> >>
> >> John Mease (a Philadelphia merchant from Strabane, Co. Tyrone) included
> > his
> >> kinsman William Allison and his children as well as the Caldwell
children
> > in
> >> his 1768 will.
> >>
> >> William Allison is described (by Steiner) as a near relative of the
Rev.
> >> Patrick Allison, minister of First Presbyterian Church in Baltimore.
> >>
> >> Are there any Alison/Allison genealogists who have resolved this? I'd
> > be
> >> grateful for any clarity.
> >>
> >> All the best,
> >> Richard MacMaster