Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2006-06 > 1150988672

Subject: Dick family query
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:04:32 EDT

Linda mentioned in a recent posting that we need to share our interests. My
problem is that I can't find the track for my ancestor even back into an
immigration port, much less across the Atlantic. But, on the slim chance that
someone might know where this man originated, I'll try it.

I am looking for an ancestor who was born about 1735, place unknown (I don't
even know which side of the Atlantic). William Dick first showed up on the
1768 tax list for Rowan County, NC, in an area that became part of Guilford
County in 1771. He belonged to Buffalo Presbyterian Church, and was living
amongst a group of Scots-Irish settlers, some of whom migrated down from Cecil
County, MD, from an area which once was part of Lancaster County, PA. The
Lancaster/Cecil group from Nottingham Presbyterian Church near the MD/PA line founded
Buffalo Presbyterian Church in Guilford County. I haven't been able to find
any records for a Dick family in the Nottingham area near the MD/PA border, but
I haven't personally visited the area - yet. William's children (Susanna,
John W., Samuel, James, Thomas, William Jr., Obediah) married members of other
Scots-Irish families, some of whom were born in Ireland.

I haven't been able to find a marriage record for William, but his wife in
his later years was named Rebecca. Some family tradition gives her surname as
Tice, but I've yet to find proof of that.

I can't tell you definitely which son of William's is the oldest - probably
James or Thomas - so I can't even use Scottish naming practices to any certain
extent. Birth order from sources, including census records, is only approximat
e. The family does have a strong tradition of naming the first son after the
wife's father. Perhaps William's mother was named Susanna?

William may have had a sister or cousin named Mary, who married Dr. Joseph
Kennedy, after marrying a man surnamed Hinson/Henson.

He knew the blacksmith trade, but he also had some education, and he became a
large landowner in Guilford County. He was a jury foreman many times over, a
county commissioner, and a judge eventually. He was respected by his peers
and was often chosen for tasks involving the public trust. He ran a tavern
from his large home near the Guilford County Courthouse.

If anyone wants to claim this William, or even suggest some possibilities,
I'd be all too glad to hear about them.

Katherine Dick Benbow

This thread: