Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2006-04 > 1144929257

From: "Rob Hilliard" <>
Subject: RE: [Sc-Ir] Early PA Map 1760 and some other stuff
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:56:07 -0400

Another guess for you - he liked the logging industry. In Tioga County
in the 1830s, logging white pine (with a little oak thrown in) and
floating it down Pine Creek to the Susquehanna for the Chesapeake Bay's
shipbuilding industry was very nearly the only thing going on. Leaving
for Michigan in the 1840s, around the time that same industry was
rolling there, would tend to make me think that even more.

Lots of SI names in the lists of loggers and river pilots from those
days.

FWIW,
Rob