Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2006-04 > 1144887461

From: "Brendan Wehrung" <>
Subject: Re: [Sc-Ir] Early PA Map 1760 and some other stuff
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 00:17:41 +0000

>From: "William H. Magill" <>
>Subject: Re: [Sc-Ir] Early PA Map 1760 and some other stuff
>Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:39:00 -0400
>
>On 10 Apr, 2006, at 19:20, wrote:
>
>>In a message dated 4/10/06 7:04:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>> writes:
>>
>>>This is a wonderful site! The big question when you have no real
>>>information except a location is "why did they settle there?" often
>>>answered
>>>by "how did they get there?"
>>>The roads often answer the second question and these maps give lots of
>>>answers.
>>
>>Don't forget that water played a large part in folks getting around those
>>mountains - specifically, the Susquehanna and the Ohio Rivers, and Lake
>>Eire, and
>>later, the Eire Canal (my Scots-Irish family came to PA that way). An
>>interesting book described how George Washington used the Potomac River
>>to get to PA and then to the Ohio River.
>>Ann
>
>But George was headed to Fort Pitt....
>
>Coming from the east and Philadelphia, the Conestoga Road was one primary
>path. A trail made by the Conestoga (Susquehanna) Indians, connecting the
>Schuylkill and Susquehanna Rivers. Later this trail became the Old
>Lancaster Road, then the Conestoga Road.
>
>Later (circa 1717) this name became famous as the "Prairie Schooner" --
>the Conestoga Wagon built and designed by Pennsylvania Germans.
>Nominally, what we now call the Pennsylvania Dutch -- Dutch = Deutch (with
>an umlat over the u) Deutch being the German word for German!

In my case the road has to lead to Tioga County. Why my Irish ancestor
chose it we'll never know, but one of the maps shows roads leading there in
the early 1830's (he must have arrived about 1827-30). He repeated the feat
in Michigan in 1848, when he left his family in Oakland co. (north of
Detroit) and set out along what was then the newly-surveyed route of what
became Grand river Rd. to the then wilderness of Montcalm County. Liked
wild places with cheap land, it seems.

Brendan

>http://www.rootsweb.com/~pacahs/wagon.htm
>
>http://www.endoftheoregontrail.org/wagons.html
>
>http://www.gameo.org/index.asp?content=http://www.gameo.org/
>encyclopedia/contents/C6621ME.html
>http://www.ushistory.org/philadelphia/street_conestoga.htm
>
>An interesting set of musings on the path of the "Great Conestoga Road."
>http://www.hansherr.org/articles.htm
>

>T.T.F.N.
>William H. Magill
>PM University Lodge 51, GLPA