Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2006-04 > 1144711257

Subject: Re: [Sc-Ir] Early PA Map 1760 and some other stuff
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:20:57 EDT

In a message dated 4/10/06 7:04:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

> This is a wonderful site! The big question when you have no real
> information except a location is "why did they settle there?" often answered
> by "how did they get there?"
> The roads often answer the second question and these maps give lots of
> answers.

Don't forget that water played a large part in folks getting around those
mountains - specifically, the Susquehanna and the Ohio Rivers, and Lake Eire, and
later, the Eire Canal (my Scots-Irish family came to PA that way). An
interesting book described how George Washington used the Potomac River to get to PA
and then to the Ohio River.
Ann

This thread: