Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2006-04 > 1144711257

Subject: Re: [Sc-Ir] Early PA Map 1760 and some other stuff
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:20:57 EDT

In a message dated 4/10/06 7:04:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

> This is a wonderful site! The big question when you have no real
> information except a location is "why did they settle there?" often answered
> by "how did they get there?"
> The roads often answer the second question and these maps give lots of
> answers.

Don't forget that water played a large part in folks getting around those
mountains - specifically, the Susquehanna and the Ohio Rivers, and Lake Eire, and
later, the Eire Canal (my Scots-Irish family came to PA that way). An
interesting book described how George Washington used the Potomac River to get to PA
and then to the Ohio River.

This thread: