Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2006-03 > 1143157731

From: "Linda Merle" <>
Subject: Re: [Sc-Ir] Scotch Irish in Pennsylvania
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:48:51 -0800

Hi Bill,

> What advise can you offer to me for finding their link to
>Ulster or Scotland?

Take the free courses at www.genealogy.com/html on migration research. Read a lot of our archives. We talk about this a lot.
Look for articles in various periodicals. There's been a number.

Basically you have to find clues here. You can get a free
index to all the surviving Scottish OPRs in IGI. If you
don't know what I am talking about, you need to start with
some basic courses in genealogy (IGI) and then learn
about Scottish genealogy -- in your timeframe.

It is different in 1860 from 1760 <grin> ! Different
records.

You basically gotta learn a lot, unfortunately.

I'm planning on enrolling in the Irish Research course
>on www.myfamily.com that starts in a couple of weeks with Sherry Irvine who
>I understand is terrific. Am not sure if her course covers both Northern
>Ireland and Ireland.

"Northern Ireland" as a state did not exist till 1922.
Are you talking about Ulster?? I might also add that the
state created in 1922 does not include Donegal, where many,
many, many people came from.

As I said in the last email, the immense majority of irish
were and are Catholic. Almost every Irish genealogy course
focuses on the majority and the minority groups get a
brief mention. You still need to learn about basic, standard
Irish genelaogy. You must THEN learn what does and does
not apply to Protestants in your time frame.

Sherri I suspect will not focus on repositories, which
is where the "Northern Ireland/ Republic" stuff should
come up. You are in the USA. What do you care what's in
Dublin and what is in Belfast? Your concern is how do I
get it where ever I am. The largest collection of Irish
genealogical material is in SALT LAKE. Not Dublin and not
Belfast. I fyou want to work slow, worry about what's in
Dublin and Belfast. If you want to do some genealogy
in your lifetime, learn how to use LDS effectively.

There are also good collections in Minnesota, LA,
San Francisco, Boston, etc. All better places to go. Go
to Dublin and Belfast to dot the Is, focus on records you
cannot get here, and to drink a lot of good beer. There
is a lot you can't get here but in the 1700s much of the
stuff we must first access is over here! It's not in PRONI
because it was published.

You can also find excellent collections in seminary libraries
as well as universities.

Any advise you can offer for reading, courses,
>websites, etc would be appreciated.
Bill, check our website (http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~merle ) and our archives. Use google.

Best of luck!

Linda Merle