Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2006-01 > 1137599395

From: Montgomery Michael <>
Subject: Re: Scotch-Irish-D Digest V06 #13
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 07:49:55 -0800 (PST)

Dear All

While this endeavour is to be welcomed, would it ot
have been more appropriate at Ramelton, where Makemie
first pastored and from whiere he left for North
America (it was William Gregg's port of departure too,
I believe). There is an old building in Ramelton that
purports to be the one or on the site of one in which
Makemie had his charge. Why would this site at
Monreagh/St Johnston be chosen rather than Ramelton?
The latter would seem to have a much more palpable
connection to North American Presbyterianism. Wasn't
it Makemie's native village as well?

Michael Montgomery