Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2005-09 > 1126284035

From: Montgomery Michael <>
Subject: Re: Scotch-Irish-D Digest V05 #160
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 09:40:35 -0700 (PDT)

No, the George Washintgon quote does not work. As
Richard MacMaster, who forwarded the original query to
this list, knows, the Washington quote is not an
authentic one. Having frequently seen it in popular
historians (e.g. the books of Billy Kennedy) a couple
of years ago I tried to track it down by contacting
the editors of the Washington Papers at the University
of Virginia. They could find nothing that resembles
it among the vast assemblage of Washington material.
The quotation seems to go at least as far back as W F
Marshall's _Ulster Sails West_ sixty years ago, but I
have never a citation of its original source. Thus,
it seems to me that the quote is probably partially,
if not wholly, apocryphal.

MacMaster did a piece for the _Family Tree_ newspaper
a year or so ago in which he speculated that he had
found a quotation attributed to Washington that was
the germ of the more familiar one, but that it was
several alterations removed from it.

Or has anyone actually seen a cited original source
for the quote from Washington's one writing?

Is there any good evidence that Washington ever used
the term "Scotch-Irish"?

Michael Montgomery