Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2005-07 > 1122413599

From: "Charles.Clark" <>
Subject: Re: [Sc-Ir] Ontario Irish/Ulster Scots (Whatever!!)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:36:20 +1200

I seem to remember, Linda, that you had a bit of a scrap with Brian McConnell and threw him off this list some time ago.
He, of course, then went and founded his own Can-Orange list, and he has a webpage on "CANADA'S ORANGE ROOTS" at http://orangeroots.tripod.com/intro.html
So I suppose it would be stopping an old fight rather than starting a new one?
The Orange Order was very strong in Canada, and ought to be a good source of information on protestant settlers, and I found material through them on a Rev William
Frederick Fitzgerald. (Anyone with information on Kingston, Ontario?)

A reference from "PROMINENT PEOPLE OF ONTARIO", published in 1925, and received from Alex Rough (arough <>) reads as follows:
"Rev. Canon William Frederick Fitzgerald, M.A. Rector of St. Paul's Church, Kingston. Born at "Rathronan", Limerick, Ireland, on November 18th, 1866, son of the
late Rev. M. and Catharine Christina [Pierce] Fitzgerald. Attended Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland. Took B.A. 1888; M.A. and Divinity Testimonium, 1891.
Married on August 7th, 1900, to Charlotte Jane, daughter of the late R. Reid, of "Balydrehid", County Sligo, Ireland. Societies: A.F. & A.M., L.O.L., and I.O.F.
Church of England. Address: 238 Brock St., Kingston."
Further information from Alex Rough is that in 1924 he was a member of L.O.L. No. 6, [the same Orange Lodge as Sir John A. Macdonald, Prime Minister].

Charlie

This thread: