Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2005-07 > 1121056050

From: "John Polk" <>
Subject: RE: [Sc-Ir] Beatty
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 0:27:49 -0400

Linda -

Thanks. Out of curiosity what do you mean by "the Irish Army" in mid
1600's. There was a Polk/Pollock of that era who was also described as
having been a subaltern officer in the Army in Ireland, but I don't know
which Army that meant. In some accounts it is said he was in Cromwell's
Army. I do know he was Presbyterian.

John Polk

-- the records of the undertakers of the Ulster plantation makes clear,
there were Beatties in the Cavan Plantation who were Irish Catholics. Some
writers of Irish
> surname books believe the surname originated in County Meath.
> Donnoooo.
>
> My own ancestor presumedly was Scottish but I do know he
> served in the Irish army in the mid 1600s as an officer.
> Then he was an officer in King William's army and for that
> he was awarded a landgrant, supposedly in County Antrim.
> His brother who does not appear in the lists of Irish
> officers in the mid 1600s (later the Protestants were
> purged) but who is said to have gotten a land grant, got
> it in County Down. His lines are very traceable but mine
> left, aparently with all family members in 1729. So like
> where are these Beatties from <grin>????? One brother
> Co Antrim, one Co Down, both Scotland??? These folk got
> around.
>
> So all I'd hazard a guess about yours is "Con's Half" of Ireland <grin>.
>
> It's possible there are other family members around him
> including relatives of the wife, so be sure to research
> his entire circle in the hopes of finding clues.
>
> Best of luck!
>
> Linda Merle
>
> Linda -
>

> I know you have researched Beatty's. Is there a particular place in Ulster
> that they emanated from. I have a Walter Beatty whose roots I am
interested
> in. He first appears in Cecil County in 1736 when he purchased a piece of
> land from one of my ancestors. The deed says he was from Ireland, but
> nothing more specific. Any likely candidates?
>

> He sold the land in 1744 and appears in taxlist for Peters township of
> Cumberland County in 1753.
>

> Thanks -
>

> JP

> Sent via the WebMail system at mail.fea.net