Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2005-03 > 1110749416

From: "Lee Ramsey" <>
Subject: Re: [Sc-Ir] absentee landowners
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:30:16 -0500

wrote:

> George Washington owned a great deal of land in PA. He didn't live on it!

Good point! This young surveyor was one of America's earliest and largest
land spectulators, with most of his land being obtrained as "payment" by
colonial government for his wildernest surveys. I would certainly put in
the catogory of one of our first "realestate brokers." And, this was very
common locally as well in the early county histories where the county
surveyors were among the largest land owners.

Lee Ramsey
Lee Ramsey

This thread: