Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2005-02 > 1108057037

From: "Linda Merle" <>
Subject: FWD: Rev. Joseph Rhea
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:37:17 -0800

Dear folks, the list was in 'monitor mode' so I could waylay
any posts on <BLEEP>. Unfortunately Dr. McMaster's post
below then ended up in my inbox though intended for the list.
Here it is.

Linda Merle SI List Tyrant

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:22:34 -0700

I have been reading the microfilm copy of the diary kept by the Rev. Joseph
Rhea on his voyage to America with his family in 1769.

In addition to the daily entries, there are several pages of verse, evidently
meant to be sung to some familiar tune. Here is a sample:

In Seventeen hundred and Sixty nine
The twenty seventh of September
We hal'd in our Anchors
In Carraquiqley Bay
The wind Swell'd our Canvass
And chas'd us away
Down past Colonel Cary's
In a fine Harvest day
For Philadelphia, boys, are we bound.

The last line recurs after each stanza. Can anyone hazard a guess what the
tune could be?

All the best,
Richard

Sent via the WebMail system at mail.fea.net