Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2005-01 > 1105046109

From: "Robert McArtor" <>
Subject: Chester Alan Arthur
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:15:12 -0500

I am very much interested in tracing the family of Chester Alan Arthur. It has been said that of the 41 American Presidents, 16 were Ulster-Scots or had Ulster-Scots ancestry? They are: Andrew Jackson, James Knox Polk, James Buchanan, Andrew Johnston, Ulysses S. Grant, Chester Alan Arthur, Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison, William McKinley, Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Harry Truman, Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter, George Bush and Bill Clinton! George W Bush has become the 17th American President with Ulster-Scots connections. In all of the biographies I have read concerning Chester Arthur I have not found his family traced very far back. Was his family from Scotland? Was his family name originally MacArthur or McArthur? I know many Mac and Mc families emigrating to America dropped the Mac or Mc in order to find a job. Chester found a fairly good one. Any hints will be most appreciated. Aye, Bob McArtor

This thread: