Scotch-Irish-L ArchivesArchiver > Scotch-Irish > 2004-11 > 1101755153
From: "Linda Merle" <>
Subject: Notes on Derrykeighan (a parish in Antrim): McKinny (McKinney) , Adams
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:05:58 -0800
From "History of Derrykeighan"
Early history of the parish:
"The same writer quotes a tract mentioned by Reeves as written some time before A.D. 800 by Aengus the Culdee, which says, Bronoch, daughter of Milcon, with whom Patrick was in bondage, was the mother of Mochae of Aendrum, . and of Colman Muillium of Daire, Chaechain in Dalriada, and as Mochae was converted to Christianity by St. Patrick, 460 has been fixed as the date of the introduction of Christianity into this parish. St. Colman was the patron saint of Derrykeighan Church and parish."
"DANIEL ADAMS, 1752. This family was of Kilmoyle, near Benvarden, but have gone to America, where they are to be met with in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania."
"In 1754 MAuley granted perpetuity leases to the tenants of Derrykeighan, their names being Samuel Simpson and James Johnston. Perpetuity leases were granted to the occupiers of Carnaff and Lisnabragh in 1763, when Carnaff was held by the MKinneys and Chestnuts, whilst Lisnabragh was held by Peter Gamble, John Nevin, William Bressall, Francis Jamison, Daniel Downey, James Wreath, and another. After MAuleys death these lands were purchased by Lord Caledon, who in the twenties of the last century sold his interest in Derrykeighan and Carnaff to John Montgomery, Benvarden, and Lisnabragh to James Boyle, banker, Ballymoney. It is worthy of note that neither a MKinney or Chestnut now own an acre of land in Carnaff. The last of the MKinneys to hold a farm here was Samuel, who died in 1882, a man of a superior education, but of indolent habits, and a most accurate land surveyor. The tradition among the MKinneys is that several brothers came from Inverness early in the seven!
teenth century. Two settled in the Derrykeighan district, one at Feigh, Dunseverick, and one at Sheeans, Armoy. The name has still been variously pronounced or spelled MKinney, MElhinney, MKenzie, and Kinney. There is an armorial stone in Ballintoy belonging to the Dunseverick family, whilst a plot of ground at the west wall of Derrykeighan churchyard is the family sepulchre of many MKinneys, about whose kinship there can be no doubt. The oldest date on any stone belonging to this family here is 1742. The Chestnuts buried at the south wall of the old church, where a stone green with age and only partly legible, bears the name Samuel Chestnut, 1734. On the other side of the stone there is a representation of a man ploughing. Tradition has fastened round this the story that a tenant of this grave was killed while ploughing. The Chestnuts of Carnanreagh, Bushmills doubtless descendants bury here. In Derrykeighan there is a field known as the Craig of Vengeance, situat!
ed beside the Cross Hill. The folk-lore of the locality, which is hardly ever at a loss to give an account of the origin of names, is entirely silent on these, and as both are very near what is known as The Holy Knowe, in Ballyhivistock, all probably took their origin from some religious quarrel, whose history has been lost in the chaos of the past. There was formerly an earthen fort in the field of Robert Nevin, Carnaff, which has been long since removed.
"KNOCKAVALLEN, COOLE, STRONE.Early in the eighteenth century the Rowans held these lands, and shortly after 1734 appear to have bought from Lord Antrim, about which time the tenants were:- Upper Strone Samuel Boyd, Widow Kennedy, sen., Robert Woodside, Samuel Neill, Widow Kennedy., jun. Lower Strone Robert Thomson, William Smith, Widow Borland, Widow Stewart, John Thomson, Widow Chestnut. Coole Archie MMullan, Marmaduke Jamison, Daniel Cochrane, John Walker. Knockavallen Widow Matthews, James Ross, John Matthews. Each of these divisions then paid a chief rent to Lord Antrim of £6, making £24 in all. Coole and Knockavallen, and part of Strone, have been sold to the occupying tenants by Colonel J.J. Rowan, Mount Davys, Cullybacky."
From "Annals of Derrykeighan" - history of the Rev James McKinney, of later fame in the USA:
"...the Houstonites continued till the Reformed Presbytery on 4th October, 1783, ordaining the Rev. James McKinney for Carnaff, at Dervock. [Raid IIL, 364.J]
"His ministry terminated abruptly in 1793, for, preaching to a large open-air meeting at Ballinaloub, he took as his text, Ezek. xxi., 27 : "I will overturn, overturn, overturn it," and delivered " an inflammatory discourse," applying
- 47 -
the teat to the overturning of the British Government.
Preachers sometimes complain that their sermons fall on listless ears, but it was not so with Mr. McKinney. Some of the loyalists among his audience reported his expressions; and he found it convenient to betake himself hastily to America, and there became a very distinguished minister [Reid III., 364] at Rocky Creek, S.C., and died 16th September, 1802. A ballad composed in his honour by a local poet is now lost to history, save a few lines, one of which concluded each verse, declaring that
At Ballinaloub he played the man."
"No successor was found for him till the troubles of '98 were past; but on 5th September, 1804, the Rev. W. J. Stavely was ordained at Carnaff in the open air."
Sent via the WebMail system at mail.fea.net
|Notes on Derrykeighan (a parish in Antrim): McKinny (McKinney) , Adams by "Linda Merle" <>|