Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2004-07 > 1090348450

From: "diane silveira" <>
Subject: marriage and burial laws
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:34:10 -0700

I want to thank the very helpful people here for the such interesting and thought provoking answers to my questions re; marriage and burial laws in NIR.
It seemed strange to me to bury someone in a churchyard without some sort of marker, but of course, as Linda pointed out, markers don't always survive, there could been a wooden cross.

The story I was told about the divorce between a young pregnant woman and a propertied man ends with the judge turning to the ex-husband at the end of the proceedings and saying, "You ought to remarry her now, she's a woman with a dowry!

I did search church records while at PRONI, but I had so little time there. Fellow listers, take heed, if you love to research, plan to have a week +++ pouring over there holdings.

Diane

This thread: