Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2004-05 > 1085450805

From: Diane Graham <>
Subject: Scotch-Irish ancestor
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 21:06:45 -0500

Mine is THOMAS BOYD. I have wanted to prove for a long time that he
came here from Ulster.

His will, written in 1782 said he was of Alin (Allen) Township in
Northampton County, Pennsylvania. Had he lived in Pennsylvania since
arriving in this country? Was he perhaps born in this country?
Perhaps Allen township but I have not been able to locate him
there, other than the will.....perhaps other parts of Northampton?
I just don't know.
Witnesses to his will were Thomas WILSON and Robert HAYS.

Thomas's children were Alexander ca.1740, James 1743, Elizabeth,
Mary, Thomas and Andrew.
Thomas Boyd's wife was Elizabeth ??.

Thomas's son Major James BOYD, (my ancestor) fought for the
Northampton militia during the Revolutionary War. (I found James
living in Bald Eagle township, Centre County, Pennsylvania)

Major James BOYD married Nancy BROWN, (I believe) in Northampton.
Her parents are a mystery. James and Nancy had 9 or 10 children.
Caroline, Thomas, Mary, Elizabeth, James, Alexander Brown, Jennie,
Nancy, John and Jane(or Jean). (I think naming her son Alexander
Brown Boyd may be a clue to her father, or a brother?)

James BOYD and Nancy BROWN had a daughter Mary (Molly) Boyd. Mary
married John Donnel(l), probably in Centre County Pennsylvania.
Trying to trace John's origins has been a long ongoing test. Was the
name originally McDonnel, MacDonald, O'Donnel.....etc........

After Nancy BROWN BOYD's death in 1800, Major James Boyd m. Polly
McKELVEY. I wonder if the McKELVEY might have been her maiden name,
or if she was a widow?

Are these people in fact Scotch-Irish? Were the families connected
before coming here?

Any help at all about this family would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Diane, in Iowa

This thread: