Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2004-05 > 1085441739

From: "Bailey, Linda" <>
Subject: Re: [Sc-Ir] Favorite Scotch Irish Ancestor?
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:35:43 -0400

Linda,
I really enjoyed hearing about your favorite Scotch Irish ancestors Henry &
Mary Kelly, as well as the rest of the Kelly relations.
Several times you mentioned someone being "disinherited." Can you explain a
little more? Did the will actually spell out the fact that this person was
not to receive any inheritance? Or did the will simply not mention that
person at all? Do you have a sense as to how "disinheriting" someone usually
was handled?
Nowadays the practice I believe is to mention the person by name in the will
and then leave them a pittance amount ($1). Supposedly this practice keeps
people from successfully contesting a will. How was it handled in the 1800's

Linda Bailey
Researching Bailie/Bailey in Virginia originally from County Down
(possibly).