Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2004-05 > 1085441534

From: "John & Mary Widener" <>
Subject: Scotch-Irish Ancestors
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 18:32:14 -0500

Hi,
My Scotch-Irish Ancestors Mathew M. SHANKS born about 1740, and his 4 year old son came from Belfast, leaving the first part of January, 1767 with the Associated Reformed Presbyterians lead by William Tennent to Charles Town, S. Carolina arriving there a few weeks later. Mathew was indigent and his fare was paid by the church. His wife died prior to the trip and he brought his 4 yr. old son with him. The son's uncle (we think) Robert WILSON later listed James as his next of kin, Robert having arrived in S. Carolina prior to Mathew and James. I understand that Robert listed his home as Carnmoney, Antrium, Ulster.
Understand the Shanks came from possibly Glasgow, Scotland. But those who have researched seemed content to do after the arrival to the USA. Have full data from the arrival date.
Anyone with info on Shanks in Antrium, would appreciate it.
Mary Widener

This thread: