Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2004-05 > 1083768458

From: "Troy Semple" <>
Subject: RE: Gravestones and censuses
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 09:47:38 -0500

I would suspect that also, in 1901, many people - particularly older folks -
did not know exactly how old they were. Even someone in their late 50s would
have been born before civil registration was required so may only have had a
general idea how old they were. But I agree that if there was old age
pension at stake, a person would be more inclined to add a couple of years
on - especially when there were no official documents to confirm or refute
their claim!
Troy Semple

it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

This thread: