Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2004-04 > 1081479186

From: "John Polk" <>
Subject: Re: [Sc-Ir] Re: Irish Ports of Departure
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 22:53:36 -0400

A mysterious example of this in my family lies behind the anomalous choice
of names for land they patented in Maryland. The first Polks/Pollocks
arrived in Somerset County MD about 1687. There is no doubt that they had
originated from Ballendrait, Parish of Lifford, County Donegal. The family
matriarch possessed an inherited estate there which she willed to her
youngest son years later, specifically mentioning its location. Another son
used the name Ballendret for a tract of land he acquired in Maryland in
1692.

The peculiar thing is that two of her other sons chose the names Clonmell
and Ballyhack for lands they patented in 1700, both of which towns are
found in the South of Ireland along the River Suir, near Waterford. This
choice of names is inexplicable from anything I know about the family
history, and I can only speculate that there is a lost chapter for an
interim period when they moved to that area, after leaving Donegal but
before leaving for America. I suspect a Huguenot connection here since this
area of Ireland, particularly Clonmel, had a significant Huguenot
population at the time and there were strong ties between the Presbyterians
and the Huguenots.

John Polk

Bushfield, in the
> Co. of Roscommon, gent, and Mary Pedden, of the Cottage, in Barry's Great
Ireland,
> in the Union of Clonmel, Co. Cork, and Diocese of Cloyne.'"
> If your Arthur McKinney from Tyrone left from Cork, that suggests a
certain
> mobility which suggests he was of the gentry, of the merchant class, or
perhaps
> some other group which was not anchored to one place as the small-holding
farmers
> were.
> Charlie
>
> K Powell wrote:
>
> > Before I took up this fine addiction, I recall asking my aunt, in her
mid-later
> > 70s, if she knew where in Ireland McKinneys came from, when, how they
got here.
> > She told me (whoever) had sailed out of Cork. I'm familiar enough with
> > geography to have commented that's pretty far from up north. She
dithered a bit
> > (she was getting more and more "dithery" by that age) then responded
"Maybe it
> > was someone else who told me that's where he'd sailed from."
> >
> > At the time I then dismissed her recall of hand-me-down family lore.
Now, from
> > reading your statement, I wouldn't toss it out, the suggestion that
Arthur
> > McKinney from Tyrone may have sailed out of Cork about 1730ish. As a
young
> > single man, taxed if at home I suppose, he sure could have meandered
Ireland
> > (looking for work?) until boarding.

--- John Polk
--- Havre de Grace MD