Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2004-03 > 1078262844

From: "Linda Merle" <>
Subject: Re: [Sc-Ir] HO(L)MES ar Coleraine--early 1700s
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:27:26 -0800

Hi Charles,

You asked:
>Is there anything at Coleraine in the early 1700s that might be of help, such as marriages or parents of the brothers?

No! Haven't you heard that it's impossible to trace people before 1820 in Ireland <grin>? There's rarely any church records before that date, but you always check in a very wide circle for Church of Ireland or anything else you can find.

There's a lot of stuff available, especially that names Protestants. These are usually lists. In case you think they are a no brainer, there was a lecture taught a few years ago at a conference I attended on how to get the most out of lists, like freeholder lists.

The fairly easy to get stuff is listed in Ryan "Irish Records", a book. Surfing will also turn up stuff or start at genuki: www.genuki.org.uk . Nothing of whats available lists everyone.

There'a also local history. Local history, local history. It's very very important.

Most likely you'll need to find out where they came from in the USA. There's lots of New England church records, family research, and such. It tends to be difficult for people to find because they haven't stopped to read about New England Research. It's by TOWN, not COUNTY. It's also on CD and published in books for the largest part.

Be sure to check the www.newenglandancestors.org website which has some manuscripts from the Avery collection on line -- though you must be a member to view them, I think.

Check out our website for more how to info:
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~merle .

Best of luck as well,

Linda Merle
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 15:54:07 -0500 (EST)

>Bolton's book "Scotch-Irish Pioneers" mentions brothers Thomas HOMES and brother John HOMES from Coleraine. Thomas died at Dracut, Mass. 1726 and
>John was living at Boston same time frame.
>
>I believe one of these brothers is my ancestor and am having a terrible time tracing them. Is anyone else researching this family?
>
>Is there anything at Coleraine in the early 1700s that might be of help,
>such as marriages or parents of the brothers?
>
>thanks, Charles

This thread: