Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2003-12 > 1072797936

From: "Linda Merle" <>
Subject: Re: [Sc-Ir] Rev. John Wallace
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 07:25:38 -0800

Hi Betty,

Not sure what the problem is! You give some
information, then say you have hit a brick wall.
What information do you want to find out?

In addition, there's standard, proven ways of
finding out where immigrants came from as well
as doing Irish genealogy. You need to learn
how to do this research. There are free courses
on immigrant research at
www.genealogy.com.university.html .

You execute these strategies.

For learning to do irish reserach -- that's a long
process. You will not get anywhere if you think you
can do it on the Internet. You will also die long
before you find out anything if you try to do it by
writing letters to organizations in Ireland that do not do genealogical research (like the Presbyterian
Historical Society). You can yourself do research
there or (smarter!) do research in the USA on
Irish Presbyterian ministers so that when you do
go there you only have to focus on records you
can't get elsewhere. Most likely you will be unable
to do much of that as the early stuff is very hard
to read unless you are trained to read it. I've
found seminary libraries to be very very very very
very very useful.

We have some suggestions on doing research
at our website: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~merle .

You probably will need to do a preliminary study.
You can hire an agency in Ulster to do it for you.
But unless you do it yourself you will be unable
to continue it -- or assess the results. For
example I did one on an ancestor, surnamed NORRIS.
I was very happy to be able to place the family
in the townland that he was supposedly from and
I learned a huge amount of Irish genealogy in
doing it.

A distant cousin paid an agency in Ulster to do it.
It came up with the same stuff as me though I
did have one additional piece of information.
He was unhappy because he didn't realize that the
records situation there is very poor so you are
not looking for an individual at all. Having
identified the townland that the family was on,
you would then go into estate records to find
details perhaps relating to the specific individual.
He paid, I thought, a trivial amount of money,
for what took me a year to do. But I can continue
the work and he just feels ripped off and still
doesn't know how to do Irish genealogy.

The usual advice in Irish genealogy is that you
cannot trace people who are not gentry before
about 1820 because there are very few church
records. That's undoubtedly true for Catholic
tenent farmers, but there are records that Protestants appear in. Most Americans researching
Scotch Irish -- early Protestant Irish emigrants --
dont' know enough about Irish genealogy to even
realize that what they are attempting is considered
impossible by most genealogists.

It's not impossible but it is not easy to do.
Ministers can be researched. His name may appear
in various standard Scotch irish research
material, much of which is on the web. It's
on our website.

Very best,

Linda Merle

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:56:22 EST

>Hit a brick wall here. Have been told that he was a Presbyterian Minister.
>His daughter, Sallie, married Matthew Simpson Smith, in 1771 in SC. Do know that
>Matt was born in Londonderry, Ireland in 1750. Betty.

This thread: