Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2003-08 > 1059765966

From: K Powell <>
Subject: [Sc-Ir] Re: measurements, perch
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:26:08 -0700 (PDT)

Just to toss in some more vague and likely useless trivia. I've found perch to
be used in another way, medieval building. Whether stone or log construction,
for some reason I either didn't quite understand or have forgotten, 18 feet was
about the maximum length a wall could be built, and that would be the outer
dimension. Inner walls were probably about 16.5. That length was called a
perch.

Sorry to be so vague; I can't give a reference because that's so long back I've
forgotten where I read that. It would have reference, I think probably, to
technique and technology of stone masonry of the times. As memory serves that
was the case until the development of the gothic arch and expanded cathedrals.

Kaye in Texas