Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2003-07 > 1059693684

From: "R L Bradley" <>
Subject: Re: [Sc-Ir] Property terms and dimensions in Ireland
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:21:24 -0500

5.5 yards = 1 rod

Perch Old unit of length - same as rod and pole. 16.5 feet.

The acre is the only unit of area in common use, other than the square-foot,
and the square mile. The rood is an area of 1 furlong by 1 rod, or 1210 sq.
yds. An acre is four roods. An acre is traditionally thought of as the area
that could be ploughed by a team of oxen in a morning without tiring them.