Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2003-01 > 1042215389

From: "Linda Merle" <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] Bally- Bailey?
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:17:45 -0800

>Sorry but I really can't help you out on that one. You'll have to ask our
>resident surname expert, Linda.

I can tell you what MacLysaght "The Surnames of Ireland" (a well
respected author and book) has to say on the subject.

He says it is English, often seen as le Bailiff, occuring a lot
in Irish medieval records. Numerous everywhere but Connacht.
Occasionally the same as BELLOW. BELLOW is a Norman name :
de Belleau found in County Lought, Meath, and Mountbellow, Galway.
Same source.

Sorry, I am not doing surname lookups at this time unless you get me a
full time job whose salary I like as I am looking for such and
also focusing on my part time job and paying clients. Check the
archives for surnames we've already done....surely all in Ireland
by now???!!!

Back to my daily chores....

Linda Merle

This thread: