Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2003-01 > 1041864770

From: "Linda Merle" <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] SCOTT, Thomas db 1748
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 06:53:54 -0800

Hi Samuel,

"SI Research" in colonial times is rather in its infancy. We are
the pioneers -- so be sure to share what you learn! Here's some
suggestions. Check out what we do know. What we know is in two places:

Our webpages: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~merle and our
archives. Lots and lots of information has been posted here on
how to trace SI. Huge amounts of info. Rule #1 is
to FOLLOW THE LEADER. Who was the Rev Martin? Where precisely
did he come from? Who was his congregation? You can find this
out in the archives and the webpages. If you seriously want to locate
the ancestor, you'll want to follow up on the book leads to get
a more in-depth understanding of Kellswater -- the first, the
earliest, the pioneer Reformed Presbyterian congregation in Ireland.
That's the Rev. Martin's. The congregation has written several
histories of itself. Some info from them is in the archives including
info extracted from one history that is not indexed (ie you gotta
read it from start to finish) regarding the names found in the earliest
Covenantor Societies. Some of these families have been in the same
society now for 300 years. Your people only trusted people in their
society due to a lot of paranoia. Ditto with mine...

So rule #2 is STUDY THE GROUP. You'll get to be able to recognise
the pod of names that they hung out with even when they up and moved
to Tyrone (Some did from this very area in Antrim taking with them
their surnames -- distinctive as Ballymena Ulster Scots Covenantors).

I just hope you don't assume that your ancestor came on these 5
ships because the name fits. 95% of the SI in the Carolinas came
down through PA and/or MD -- says the experts who have spent a lot
of time studying it and writing books. Yet 95% of us are looking for
non existent Charleston passenger lists! They get mad when I tell them
this .... so I do know they are SI <grin>!

The biggest problem we have in finding the home of our ancestors is
our American research is not complete. That goes for my family too!
We've been lucky in a couple cases: descended from a brother of a
Reformed Presbyterian minister -- so his hometown and parents' names
are in the Fasti (What's Fasti? It's a book full of short bio's of
Presbyterian ministers: one 'set' at least per denomination or group:
RPs, UPs, Seceders, etc, etc, and per country. Where to find? LDS,
local seminary library, or check the archives for the ones we've
researched). Just one suggestion unique to the SI, but largely, we
gotta get a lot better at doing American genealogy before we can
do much Irish. I hate it too.

A particular strength of our archives is Reformed Presbyterian. That
is what the Rev. Martin's denomination was. It was and is a small
faithful remnant -- so the old families are all interconnected.
And some listers bestowed on us a legacy of their life's work of
extractions of RPs. In the archives:
column, click on "Interactive Search". Type in the name of the list
Scotch-Irish (spelling counts here) and read the screen. I am not
exagerating when I say there is stuff there you could only get by
going to our homeland, Ulster (and staying awhile holed up in a
library).

Best of luck, Cuzzin. I got SCOTTs but mine stayed in Scotland.
Let me know if you want to go off reavin' some cattle, especially
from the Maxwells. I am also a Beatty, twice over, and they got our
land. Us border-clans were the world's first cattle rustlers!
(Maxwells.....I was only joking! If I catch you I've giving you
a big kiss to make up for the old times....this could be worse than
losing a few cattle, it's true....)

Linda Merle