Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2002-11 > 1036796697

From: "Virginia Beck" <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] Colonial New Jersey Immigration
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 15:04:57 -0800

Thanks for the link, William. I see that Robert Haines, in Burlington, is
the contact for the West Jersey Proprietors!
My husband descended from Richard Haines (b. abt. 1647-1682) and
Margaret (unk). John, their oldest son preceded them to America in 1679,
when he was about 16 yrs. old. Richard & Margaret followed with children
Richard, Thomas, William, Mary & Margaret on the ship "Amity" in April of
1682. Richard, the father, died during the voyage, and a last son, Joseph,
was born while the family was still at sea. They were English Quakers.
John, Richard & Thomas were among the earliest settlers near the area of
Lumberton NJ. Thomas became the owner of about 2400 acres of land between
1688 and 1720. Regards, Virginia

> (see the 1683 map)
> Note that the "Board of East Jersey Proprietors" and "West Jersey
> Proprietors"
> still exist as private corporations and retain most of the records (ie
> deeds) from the proprietary period!
> See:
> T.T.F.N.
> William H. Magill