Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2002-10 > 1035317628

From: Janice Ritter <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] Re: Surnames
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:17:32 -0400

Hello to all!

My surnames are McILREAVEY and KILPATRICK.

Right now, all I know is that my direct relatives lived in
Knocknakeiragh, Ballyrashane, Union of Coleraine, County of Londonderry
in 1879, as they had a son there then (my great-grandfather John
Kilpatrick). I have a copy of his birth certificate. :-)

The names I have for my ggrandparents are William Gray Kilpatrick(b.
1857) and Catherine Hester "Hessie" McIlreavy (b. ~1859). (That
"McIlreavy" is how the name was spelled on John Kilpatrick's birth
certificate. I know that can be spelled McIlravy, McElravy, etc. Her
name appears on various different).

Family members always swore we were Scots-Irish, but I haven't really
established that yet for either of those surnames. I know that
Kilpatrick *can* can Scots, but can it also "just" be Irish? And
McIlreavy, heck, I have no idea whether that is Irish or Scots in
origin! Any ideas?

-Janice

Alexander B. Craghead wrote:

> My apologies to all for the lateness of my contribution. I am on
> digest. I am used to these digests being, oh, 2 or 3 messages long,
> not 483! <G>
>
> My surnames are, of course, CRAIGHEAD, also spelled CRAGHEAD or
> CRAGET/CRAGGOT.
>
> Other surnames of interest to me include BOYD, RICHARDSON, ROBINSON,
> MAXEY,
> COX, BARTON, HIBBETS. Eras and locations vary.
>
> If anyone else out there is working on CRAIGHEAD &c, I'd greatly
> appreciate hearing from them.
>
> Alexander Craghead
> Portland, Oregon, USA

This thread: