Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2002-05 > 1021761645

Subject: [Scotch-Irish] Re: Scotch-Irish-D Digest V02 #155 re: M'Naught(en)
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 18:40:45 EDT

In a message dated 5/18/02 11:15:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:
Me:
>> but it is much more likely that your "McNaght" was a M'Naught from
Galloway than any variant of a Highland McNaughten.

Linda:
> I am not sure at all. We need to know where in Ulster they were to
> even guess. We absolutely do have historical evidence of highlanders
> and highland McNaughtens in Ulster.
(snipping a ton of very interesting supporting info)

I'll defer to Linda's research re: the likelihood of Highland McNaughtens in
Antrim in the early 1600's & before. I would still guess that a "McNaght" in
Presbyterian church records later on, was more likely a M'Naught from
Galloway - though admittedly, this is merely playing the odds. If there was
a hint of a suffix after the "t" the odds would shift the other way - but
again, only the odds, no certainty unless/until further research pins the
individual down.

Hopefully the back-&-forth is useful to the original poster!

This thread: