Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2002-05 > 1021744826

From: <>
Subject: RE: [Scotch-Irish] Re: Scotch-Irish-D Digest V02 #154
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 11:05:08 -0700

Hi,

but it is much more
>likely that your "McNaght" was a McNaught from Galloway than any variant of a
>Highland McNaughten.

I am not sure at all. We need to know where in Ulster they were to
even guess. We absolutely do have historical evidence of highlanders
and highland McNaughtens in Ulster.

There were plenty of highlanders in Co Antrim -- The Earl of Antrim
brought them over long before the public plantation scheme of
King James. In settling the 50 year squabble over Antrim that had
gone on between the local Irish and the McDonalds, King Jamie took
the side of the Scots. Thus the McQulliams lost most of their
land. Jamie confirmed the winnings of the McDonalds -- ON CERTAIN
CONDITIONS. Those were that he allowed lowland Scots settlers to
settle AMONG his highlanders. This he did. The Highlanders were
good, like the Irish, at raising cattle. The lowlanders were much
better farmers. Thus the Earl benefited from both. He also rescued
a crowd of lowlanders whom the Scottish gov had tried to settle in
Kintyre. They were run off by the local highlanders. The Earl,
though Catholic, took them in. A big hearted guy <grin> or....short
on tenants!

So Antrim was very mixed among Irish, Gaelic Scots, and lowlanders.

Much of Co Down was in the private hands of Scots lords BEFORE the
public plantation of King James as well. Those lords brought over
their lowland tenantry and settled them among the Irish as well,
but you will find far fewer highlanders in early CO Down. Antrim
is another matter entirely.

> Highlanders, on the other hand, were actively
>discouraged from the Plantations (as being less politically reliable), though
>some apparently did slip through, especially if they were of a Protestant
>"clan."

As I said, this was true of the public plantations of King Jamie,
but the Earl of Antrim was not bound by the same rules at all.

You can check Bell "Book of Ulster Surnames" and find plenty of
Antrim surnames that came to Ulster in the 1550's -- with the
McDonnells. Including, apparently, my paternal ancestors,
Andersons of the Bushmills area.

In Hanna "The Scotch-Irish" there is a wealth of info on COunty
Antrim and its settling as well as in books like the history of the
McDonnells. We stuffed the archives with the leases of the Earl,
so you can check those. In fact there are McNaughtons with highland
origins in "The McDonnells of Antrim". Like this Donell mcNaghton
who had a half townland in Benvardin, as well as Sean Dhu himself.

P 443 describes the ruination of the highland McNaughtons who
were closely associated with the Earl. They took the side of the
Irish in the Rising but didn't escape Monroe's Army as it came into
the Route. He had built himself a fortress and held it till he and 80
followers were murdered by this Scottish army. This is the horrible
event I mentioned in other emails. It is covered in Moran "Historical
Sketch of the Persecutions Suffered by the Catholics of Ireland",
p 169. So closely was Sean Dhu McNaughton's association with the
Earl that the history of the Scottish McNaughtons is detailed in
the History of the McDonnells of Antrim. Sean Dhu was his right hand
man. Many if not all of the Earl's early circle were, like himself,
Catholic highlanders. If you know anything about these people, you
know he'd not trusted a lowlander. Lowland farmers are another matter.
You can trust them to farm and that they did for him.

P 182 takes them from an early Dalriadic king, their support for
Robert the Bruce, describing the "first" to come to Ireland as
Sean Dhu, a nephew of Sorley Boy McDonnel. FAMILY, highland, and
Catholic. His tombstone is still there to be seen, I beleive.

Checking "Scots Mercinary Forces in Ireland, 1565-1603" it lists
no McNaughtens, which is surprising. So perhaps Sean Dhu was the
first one to return to the homeland of his Dalraidic ancestors.

This is what makes scratching beneath the surface in Ulster SO
interesting.

With Bushmills, the haunt of Sean Dhu and my own early ancestors,
apparently, in the early 1700's it's reported that the local
presbyterians still didn't speak English. They apparently spoke
Gaelic. The first minister there in the early 1600's at Billy was
an Irishman named O'Quinn, who did preach in Irish. See "Presbyteians
and the Irish Language" by Blaney. Not sure we know if he spoke
in Irish THERE, but it is documented he preached in Irish elsewhere,
nearer Dublin at leat.

Linda Merle

This thread: