Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2002-05 > 1021741508

Subject: [Scotch-Irish] Re: Scotch-Irish-D Digest V02 #154
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 13:05:08 EDT

In a message dated 5/18/02 7:13:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> From: Quint Hart <>
> Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] Half-hanged McNaughten
>
> Now that's interesting. Here my 4th grandfather, James Dunlop, in
> Coleraine Ireland, married Sussannah McNaght. Another corruption of
> McNaughten. Did the Dunlop, who was a servant get hanged also?
> Emalu

Of course anything is possible in individual cases; but it is much more
likely that your "McNaght" was a McNaught from Galloway than any variant of a
Highland McNaughten. I don't believe that, despite the similar-sounding
name, there was ever any historical connection (though I'm sure the Clan
MacNaughten society will accept a McNaught, & I'm d--n sure the Scottish
Import store will sell you a MacNaughten tartan tie!).

One of the principal families of the name was M'Naught of Kilquhanity, in the
parish of Kirkpatrick-Durham in the valley of the Urr Water in eastern
Kirkcudbrightshire. (There were of course many others of the name, of less
exalted station, in the area - the parish records have a number). This was
an area from which many Presbyterian families joined the Plantations of
Ulster in the 1600's. Highlanders, on the other hand, were actively
discouraged from the Plantations (as being less politically reliable), though
some apparently did slip through, especially if they were of a Protestant
"clan."

.

This thread: