Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2002-03 > 1017411458

From: <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] Ballymena
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 06:22:59 -0800

Hi Georgia,

Small uprisings are usually covered in the local newspaper.
The Belfast Newsletter. The index is on line. Search the archives
for THIS MONTH to find it, or use www.google.com to find it.

Of course there is not a list of people enrolled in the United
Irishmen! It was an illegal terrorist organization. They took
a secret oath to keep who else was in it secret. Nonetheless their
security was severely compromised as it appears many members
were informants. Most of the leadership was in prison before
the rebellion even started. Try "The Summer Soldiers" by ATQ
Stewart.

So there are plenty of British spy papers about that do name
names as well as court depositions, etc, as afterwards the
courts attempted to get the names of others. If you read just one
decent book on the United Irish Rebellion (ie one that has a
bibliography -- don't buy it if it doesn't or lug it home
from the library), you will get access into these papers.
The nice thing about ATQ Stewart's is he tells you where he
got it. He used things like the McCracken MSS (T1210) and
the Massereene/Foster MSS (D 562) in PRONI. There's a lot that
has been published and he lists those too. Including the
Drennen Papers. In preparing his book he used the Records of
the General Synod of Ulster and various published reports from the
Committee of Secretcy of the House of Lords of Ireland. He lists
innumerable articles that cover the volunteer forces in Ulster
(caught my eye). A lot of this stuff is indexed (one hopes)
in Hayes. (www.rootsweb.com/~bifhsusa has an article on major Irish
Indexes). Also NIDS. Hayes, NIDS, and Smith's Inventories would
also point you to stuff on the 1850 period in Ballymena. Though
there may be stuff in LDS. Have you searched the catalog??

Most of this stuff focuses on the brass. The little guy ended up
dead, desposited in a mass grave and with his widow unable to
even make inquiries for fear of her house being burnt down.

Again, if your interests are not 1798 but fifty years later,
you should seek the newspapers if you are looking for the names
of average individuals as well as police records.

The poor law union records are filmed and in LDS. You can
view them yourself. Not enough people view them as they also
have a lot of info about the men administering the Poor Law
Unions -- ie the doctor might be replaced when the incumbant
was taken ill or moved away, etc.

You may also check to see if there is a local Ballymena paper
by then. For all such questions, check Ryan "Irish Records".
See County Antrim, Newspapers..... don't see any listed that
are as early as you want. Belfast Newsletter of course is
1737. The Ballymena Advertiser didn't start till 1867.
Check Grenham in case Ryan missed one. Check the PRONI website.
Check the publications of the Mid Antrim Historical Society.

Not a Ballymena expert but you don't need one. You just need
a good reference book like Ryan "Irish Records". I always check
two or three since no one is perfect.

Best of luck,

Linda Merle

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:24:28 EST

>Hello Everyone
>
>Is there any record, covering the Ballymena poor law union, of uprisings
>similar to the small skirmishes before 1798. I am interested in those years
>shortly preceding the famine of the 1840's and the early 1850's. Would this
>information be included in the Poor Law Guardian records? Is there a
>Ballymena "historian" on the list? Also, is there an enrollment list for
>those who joined the United Irishmen?
>Thanks for the help.
>Georgia

This thread: