Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2002-03 > 1016804204

From: Edward Andrews <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] St.Pat.
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:36:44 +0000

No, Arthur was probably Scottish, or at least from the North of Britain.
(Remember that everywhere claims him).
It depends on what you see Arthur as.

To revert to the question of Patrick.
The reason why he is placed in Scotland is because of his letter to
Coroticus, a Strathclyde warlord, who had his HQ at Dumbarton.

As a Ballymena man - well my tribe is from there, I am sorry to have
to suggest that he spent no time with Dichu on Slemish, did not climb
Croagh Patrick, nor institute his Purgatory in Lough Derg.
What really happened was that in later documents the lives of a lot of
early missionaries in Ireland were confuted together.
We have a long escape journey described in the only authentic
writings which we have about Patrick, his biographical Confession, and
the letter to Coroticus. In the course of his escape he headed home and
them went on to Gaul.
While there could be a long period of time between to two events the
story gives us reason to believe that Patrick was from South Britain,
though we have to accept that patrick had some kind of Celtic i.e.
Western fringes background. The connection between Patrick and Gaul
suggests a Southern base rather than a Northern one.
As good a resource as any is Hanson's "The Mission of Saint Patrick"
in Mackey (ed) "An introduction to Celtic Christianity" Edinburgh 1989.

Patrick does not however play any significant part in the thought or
identity of the Scots Irish (Presbyterian), though of course the Anglo
Irish (Anglican) do take him more seriously.
Edward Andrews

--
St. Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland
Visit our Web site http://www.btinternet.com/~stnicholas.buccleuch/index.htm

This thread: