Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2002-03 > 1015822427

From: "John Polk of Havre de Grace" <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] Army Records in Kew
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 23:53:47 -0500

Linda -

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. It is wildly unrealistic to think I
might come across anything specific to my own family in such a short visit,
but you can't catch a fish if you don't put a hook in the water. It would be
better if I could read your suggested references before I get there, but
time has run out at this point. I will have another chance in May, so this
will at least be an orientation.

There is one important document at the PRO which I do hope to see. It is an
something called an "Address of Loyalty" written by the largely
non-conformist citizens of Somerset County Maryland to William and Mary in
1689, congratulating them on their rise to the throne and pledging support
and loyalty to them. As you may recall from an earlier note, a contingent of
Scotch-Irish arrived in Somerset in 1680s, in the footsteps of Rev Francis
Makemy, and they were becoming a significant force in the local community.
They were of course overjoyed by the events of the "Glorious Revolution" and
couldn't have hoped for a more fortunate turn of events, in their eyes, than
to have a Calvinist monarch ascend to the throne of the Kingdom. It is a bit
ironic that they most likely would never have left Ulster had they foreseen
what would transpire just a year or two later - but such is life.

Most people are not aware of it, but Maryland had its own Revolution at this
time (1689), encouraged by the events in England, and threw out the
appointed officials of Lord Baltimore, a Catholic. The leaders of the coup
were known as the Associators and they were very anxious to establish
themselves in the good graces of the new monarchs, in order to avoid being
hung, drawn and quartered for what could easily be construed as treasonous
acts. Accordingly they asked the various counties to send in written
affimations of their loyalty to the new regime in England and allign
themselves in support of the new powers in Maryland. Some of the counties
did so, and the resulting documents are now in the PRO. The Somerset address
is recorded in transcribed form in Archives of Maryland. It is signed by 238
citizens, including a large contigent of Presbyterian Ulster Scots - names
like Alexander, Stevenson, Maclure, Mackullah, Kyle, McKnitt, McGraw,
Maddux, Crawford, Wilson, Knox. Owen. Robert Polke, the first Polk/Pollock
in this country is among them, so I look forward to seeing whether he
actually signed it, or if it is just a compilation of names penned by the
County Clerk.

Will let you know what I find. Thanks for the help -

JP