Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2002-03 > 1015322862

From: "rachel.dysart" <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] Map Cracks
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:07:43 -0000

Hundreds of dollars? Gosh that's enough for the whole of Ireland
nearly.
I can understand your frustrations but it is 2 different governments
here, 2 different mapping organisations, in 2 different countries.
Would American maps near the border show parts of Canada?
You could always write to then OS and suggest some cross border
co-operation.

OSNI Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland
Dept of Environment
Colby House
Stranmillis Court
Belfast BT9 5BJ

Director
Ordnance Survey Office
Phoenix Park
Dublin

I take it you are interested in the Laggan Presbytery (Lagan is the
river on which Belfast stands) and my understanding is that this
equates roughly to the parish of Taughboyne - not that you'll find
that on the OS maps either.
Just to make you really envious the OS agency in England has put a
Victorian map of England Wales and Scotland on line and you can find
your ancestors farm, mansion - whatever.
www.old-maps.co.uk
They will even produce an historic map of your particular area.
www.ordsvy.gov.uk
I did suggest to OSNI that they did something similar and they
pleaded lack of funding.

Rachel Dysart

snip
> I have got a mad on. A legitimate bitch. I have hundreds of
dollars
> invested in the Discoverer Series Ordinance Survey Maps. Map 6 of
the
> Ordinance Survey of Ireland, Donegal, doesn't go far enough east and
Map 7 of
> the Ordinance Survey of Northern Ireland, Londonderry, doesn't go
far enough
> west. I want 6 1/2!
>
> The cartographers need to take a lesson from the politicians and
learn to
> straddle.
> Or do Ulster politicians not straddle? I want bowlegged politicians.
>
> Where is the Ulster Historical Society? We need maps on historical
> principals that would show this Lagan area on one 17th century map
> irrespective of the current political boundaries. The Republic map
is worst
> of all. It has the boundary up the middle of the Foyle and then
when the
> boundary cuts to the north, everything east of the line looks like
it's
> fallen off the flat earth. Is it asking too much to see Raphoe and
> Londonderry on one 1:50.000 map? I guess so.
>
> I got research to do. I want to pound my fist on someone's desk.
Where is
> Rob Davidson when you need him?
>
> jcmaclay

This thread: