Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2002-02 > 1013683609

From: "Mary Lander" <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] LDS Family History
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 04:46:49 -0600

Now, you have a good idea---that of having a page to make a note of the
conflicting or "folklore" stories
we have been told by relatives about our ancestors. Considering that even
today no two people report
an event exactly the same way add to that the fact that people in the middle
1900s usually told their children some mild version of what went on and not
the actual facts----too racy, or too embarrassing, or
they just didn't talk to their children about "things like that". Plus, I
believe that some of the things that
are now questionable were opinions and not facts because those people really
didn't know themselves and
thought that they had to answer something, right or wrong. Then, too,
remember the story about the little child who was heard reciting the Lord's
Prayer and said "Harold be thy name". Do we really remember correctly what
we were told as children?

Mary McA Lander