Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-12 > 1007766507

From: <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] Look up
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 15:08:27 -0800

Hi Van,

According to Bell "Book of Ulster Surnames" the name is common
in Co Sligo and Ulster, mainly Antrim and Tyrone, so yours are
right where you would expect. There are a lot of spelling
variants. The name first appeared in Ireland in the early 17th
century. It is believed to be Scottish -- from the town of
Moffat in Annandale in Dumfriesshire. It was first recorded in
1232. They were one of the less riding clans, located on the
Scottish West March. Many of the riding clans sought refuge
from James I/VI in Ulster. Also there is a family in Monaghan
who descend from a James Moffett of Cumberland. He settled in
Monaghan early 18th century.

HOpe this helps!

Linda Merle

From: "Van Goodrich" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 17:40:42 -0500

>Hi
>I see people asking for look ups in " Bell's Book of Ulster Names." I guess I was off line when this started
>so I would like to request Information on the name Moffattett/itt/ etc.
>I located my Great Grandfather or maybe GG Bristow Moffatt in the town of Antrim Millrow area.in 1827 being mentioned in Rev. Robert Magill's diary. He was about 18 years of age.at this time. His first son was named Thomas b.1833 England. and his first daughter was Martha born 1837 Liverpool. He married Mary Young . Bristow's father may hve been named Thomas . Bristow was a boot and Shoe maker in Canada.
>My mother said they came from Co. Derry but I see many Moffat shoemakers in the 1851 Antrim Census.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Sincerely Van

This thread: