Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-11 > 1005846853

From: "Maryfrances Stewart" <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] Racism
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:54:13 -0700

Scots-Irish are well-represented in Texas, as are almost all of the other
ethnic groups you might mention. Like the rest of the county, we hold fast
to our bragging rights while being painfully aware of our shortcomings. We
are proud of our roots and our branches, not quite as willing to recognize
from time to time a few nuts fall out of our trees. We have some of the
best Highland games in the county!
Sometimes it's the Texican in us, more likely the Scots who sometimes are
just spoilng for a fight...over anything. Roe v. Wade was in Texas, Madelyn
Murray O'Hair, the Alamo, Oprah's battle with cattle ranchers, and on and
on.
My 105 year old Texas Grandpa used to say, "Don't mind 'em, they're jes'
spoilin'."