Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-07 > 0996220047

From: "Edward Andrews" <>
Subject: RE: [Scotch-Irish] Coat-of-Arms
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:47:27 +0100

There are two distinct laws about Heraldry, there is English law and there
is Scottish law.
In Scottish law a coat or arms is heritable property, and is passed down to
individuals.
Your general feeling however is quite correct. Technically there is no
family coat of arms.
However to complicate things in Scotland the followers of a family may use
the crest of the Chief's coat of arms to show their allegiance.
In Scotland it is a criminal offence to display a coat of arms which is not
matriculated to you.
Hope that this helps
Edward Andrews