Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-07 > 0995040487

From: "Sandra Ferguson" <>
Subject: [Scotch-Irish] Seceders in Pa/Ohio
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:08:07 -0400

A friend suggest I go back and read the list archives, with Presbyterian
Seceders in mind, and I did so, only to find that my Scottish family could
have been in Ireland before they emigrated to the colonies. I had just
assumed (wrong, wrong, wrong and I do know better) that because the Seceder
"sect" of Presbyterianism seemed to be a Scottish phenomenon, my family had
come from Scotland......it appears this may not be true, and hopefully
someone on the list will be able to shed some light on things.
I've been able to trace my Smiths to York Co, PA, and a couple of
churches......they were members of the Round Hill Church in the 1780s
(earliest records), but may well have been there since the church's
beginnings in the 1750s. This church was also known as "Shrewsbury", "Round
Hill" by 1770, and "Hopewell" by 1779. It appears the original emigrants
arrived ca 1750 , from requests made for supplies, etc. Would this date be
any way to help figure if these folks came from Scotland or Ireland?
The Smiths also were members of another "congregation" in York, the
second one of Rev. Cathcart, who was also minister of the Round Hill
Congregation...this was in the
late 1700s-early 1800s. My branch of the family then moved to Jefferson
Co., Ohio, where they are buried in the Seceder's Cemetery in Mt. Pleasant,
established in 1803.
I've been unable to find any sort of passenger lists to document the
arrival of the Smiths, or their port of embarkation, and was just hoping
that the date of the inception of their church might be a clue as to where
they had originated.

Sandra

This thread: