Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-04 > 0986844174

From: <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] Thanks to Linda re Straney surname advice
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:28:58 -0700

Hi Billy,

Oh ho! So you are one of those people we are all very nice to
in the hopes that you will do some family research for us or
announce that you live next door to some relatives of ours. Or
at least will have a drink with us when we are in the area.

What I think you are looking for is the Guilde of One-Name Studies.
These are folk who do study one surname. I am not a member though
I have had a compulsion to do a one name study or two, but due to
being years behind in my webpages and other projects, have not
allowed myself to get involved <grin>. Here is the URL:
http://www.one-name.org/

I believe the website lists surnames already under study. You
can either connect up with the World's Most Serious Straney Studier
or become that person yourself if no one has registered the surname.

>I understand your point about my thinking the name was Scotch-Irish.
> I'm aware you have explained the meaning of Scotch-Irish more than >once recently.

It is all very confusing. A friend of mine, in the Scotch-Irish
Society, USA, told me that someone told him he wasn't Scotch-Irish
because he himself is the immigrant. Since he is on the board
of the society, this came as quite a surprise <grin>. I think I'll
invent "Scorch-Irish Classic" (I like the typo too <grin>) for the
colonial emigrants.

Apparently "Irish" is now ambiguous (along with "British"). He said
he wasn't Irish, but since I tend to use it to mean, like British --
a geographical location -- a soggy place to the left of England --
and not ethnic or even to mean a citizen of that state to the south
of you (The Twenty-six Counties or Eire or the Republic or the Free
State, whatever you will). Eh??? said I. Oh well, back to rewriting
the Welcome message to explain. (US citizens: the term "British"
in Ireland (the island, that is) can have an ethnic meaning (you
feel sympatico with the English/Scottish parts of your ancestry) or
political (you are loyal to the Queen) or probably a few other things.
Though to some folks it may evoke a similiar mental photie to what
you may see: a gaggle of redcoats with loaded muskets heading for
an ancestor. For others it is a bust of Churchill, mounted on the grand
piano, which you gaze at while sipping a nice drink after returning from
The Hunt.

>I live in Downpatrick, Co Down in Northern Ireland. If anybody has queries about people who may have once lived in or close to Downpatrick, or about the location itself, I'll try my best to help.

It's a lovely place! Perhaps our ancestors knew of one another. Mine,
according to family tradition, would appear to be United Irish. Ie
they came long before the Famine and when asked why they left, my
grannie said "Because the Catholics abandoned us and the Protestants
betrayed us." That would seem to be United Irish. We still must
find the father of our James Kelly in Western PA. We suspect it was
Pegnum Kelly, who lived nearby and was of the right age. We had thought
Pegnum was an Irish first name, but it apparently is an English surname.

My Irish side gets more English and Scots, while my Ulster Scots
or Scotch-Irish side keeps getting more Irish (ie they were in situ
before the Hamiltons and Montgomeries drained the bogs). This does
kind of make sense because at least as long as we knew them, they
had lace at the bottom of their knickers though on other other hand
their baracuda-like neighbors (SI and German) didn't like them at all.
They must have been handsome men since the daughters of the SI and
Germans DID like them a lot.

Linda Merle

This thread: