Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-03 > 0986048947

From: <>
Subject: [Scotch-Irish] RE: Fallon
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 06:34:11 -0800

Thanks Edward, for saying what I would have. Otherwise or rather
in addition, it's a good question. How do you find out if FALLONs
were in Ireland?

There's a couple ways.

The easiest and fastest is to fire up IGI. It's on line at
www.familysearch.org . This isn't "gen-newbie" so I leave it to
that list to explain more. They are better than me at explaining
it. Anyone else, chime in. Nothing wrong with being new, by the
way. But there is something wrong or rather limited in this approach.
The index IGI is grand for Scottish records but not so good for Irish.
A couple reasons: there are not such good records to put into IGI,
and of the ones we got left to us, far fewer are in it.

So....trecking onward. You can always search the Internet.
www.rootsweb has search engines specialied in genealogy.

You can look up the name in a surname book. That may mean going to
a library. But I have such a book. I have here MacLysaght "Irish
Surnames". Bingo! He says O Fallamhain is Irish with the main
sept of Ui Maine near Athlone. FALLOON is a form found in Armagh
and Down. He tells us to see FALLAN and FOLAN as well.

So yup, it sounds like it's of Irish origin. In Ulster it is not
among the top 500 commonest names. Ie it is not in Bell "Book
of Ulster Surnames". However many British surnames (British refers
to that group of islands off the coast of Europe) have multiple
origins. Could this be an English name as well? Nope, apparently
not. It's not in Reaney and Wilson "Dictionary of English Surnames".
It is not in Black "Surnames of Scotland" either.

Does this mean your ancestors emigrated on a boat (or UFO) from
Ireland? NOPE. People were free to move about and many did. If
you read history books, then you know that even in the early 1600's,
as the Scots were moving TO Ireland, then and before, many Irish
were moving to Scotland and England and the continent, driven off
by the English, famine, unsettled times, etc. In England they were
complaining about all the Irish vagrants on the roads. That's about
the only reason we know about this, the records being so bad. So
it is remotely possible your FALLONs came from England or Scotland
or France at a very early date or any date! IGI can help you eyeball colonies of FALLONs who wandered off from the homeland.

Now should we kick you off the list for being Irish? NO!! No more
that the same discovery would mean you must leave the USA. In the
USA the only natives are the Indians. There are more natives in
Ireland, but many of them assimulated into various ethnic groups,
which may have then assimulated back into "Irish". The Normans,
the English, the Palatinates, Welsh, Hugunots, Flemish, Dutch:
all of these came to Ireland and many assimulated. Some Irish did
adopt English ways, even in medieval times, and become Protestant
at some point. Perhaps at the point of Cromwell's sword. Many of
us are of Irish descent as well, myself included, though my Irish
(KELLYs from County Down) apparently were Reformed PResbyterian --
Covenantors, but not, apparently, Scottish.

What this list can offer you is a focus on Protestant records
in Ireland and Irish Protestant records in the dispora. We don't
know much at all about Catholic records. Any Irish list or Irish
genealogy book will provide you with info on that. I started this
list because my ancsetors were not Catholic, so the focus of the
majority of Irish didn't help me at all. DOn't know what the religion
of your FALLONs was but that is really important to know in Irish
research.

(Flag raising and lowering, chest expansions as well as thumpings
all are optional and best done on lists dedicated to that <grin>.
Fun, but not genealogically enhancing.)

But you are not quite there yet, to Ireland. To dash more of your
hopes, you will not find information in IReland, most likely,
relevant to where your ancestors came from. You will need to find
that here. For a lot of ideas how to do that, see
http://genealogy.com/university.html . You can buy Cormac's
"Guide to Discovering your Immigrant and Ethnic Ancestors" at
Borders, Amazon, etc, if you are into spending money, but the
free courses are just as good, though the one single suggestion that
will help you over your brick wall may be in Carmack's book and no
where else.

You can also get an idea of the whereabouts of FALLONs in Ireland
using two census substitutes. The indexes are both on CD now
and both on the internet (for fees). Those are Griffiths (mid 1800's)
and the Tithe Applotment (1820's and 30's). You can buy the CDs at
www.familytreemaker.com . You can join the Ulster Historical
Guild and get the Tithe index. It is better for 18th century
ancestors since it is before the famine, when many moved and surnames
died out in places they had survived in for centuries. From the
index you access the real census substitute and eventually id the
landlord, once you know the exact location where the family lived.

LDS puts out a number of good guides to using these Irish records and
doing Irish genealogy. You can buy one at your local FHS or off the
web (www.familysearch.org) or even print one out from the web. However
you do need to learn a lot before you can effectively do Irish
research, so you will need these guides.

Don't have an identity crisus over this (or start giving money to the
IRA). You are who ever you are still. Your ancestors are not you.
Some of mine were wild clans in the Wicklow Mountains, King Edward I,
and (according to a family history) the king of Sligo !!! The last
one I am sure is not true, the middle one is probable, but the
first is beyond a doubt. Yet my Irish family was so Presbyterian, they
probably thought John Knox was a little too lenient <grin>.

You've heard the joke about the 3 Englishmen, 3 Scotsmen and 3 Irish
who were shipwrecked on an island? The three English built a
brewery. The three Scots built a distillery. The three Irish built
the First, Second and Third Presbyterian churches.

(The First was UP, the Second Suceder, the Third Reformed I
suspect <grin>).

Linda Merle

This thread: