Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-03 > 0985163828

From: Daphne Kilbourn-Jacob <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] English Customs (Caveat emptor))
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 03:41:32 -0800

Dear Oleoghain and other List Members,
About a year ago, I received an extensive amount of genealogical data
from a cousin who is a Morman. It showed that at least 1/4 of my
ancestors were among the English minor peerage. As an Anglophobe I went
into shock and shared my feelings with the List. Lots of members
responded with sympathy and common sense. I survived. The main point I
want to make is that when we undertake the search for our ancestry, we
are taking the risk of discovering that we are not necessarily going
to affirm our preconceived ideas about our identities. We will
probably find out that some of our forebearers were inimical to our
ideologies and painful to our self images. In my case, I felt and
identified strongly with my Scottish and Scotch-Irish ancestors'
struggles and ideals. The new data required a lot of self re-examination
and work to find out how the English sense of superiority and aggression
affected my identity. I was able to understand where some of my less
desireable traits (and strengths) fitted in, but it was difficult.
There is a risk in seeking to rediscover our
personal pasts. If we want the truth of our histories, genealogy is
the way to pursue this. If we want preserve our own personal mythology,
it is perhaps better not to take the risk of researching family history.
Finally, the vast majority of the English were laborers, serfs or
servants; they produced the goods and services
that the upper classes took in as rents and taxes. They did not make the
decision to colonize other countries.
Regards,
Daphne Jacob

wrote:
> Some English customs are partitioning the countries of other peoples and then
> killing, maiming, deporting the natives, wiping out their languages and
> taxing them into submission.
>
> Gobnait Ni Leoghain

This thread: