Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-03 > 0984929634

From: "Stephen Scott" <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] English Customs
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 9:33:54 -0600

England also gave us a two house parliament, the ancestors of the Senate
and House of Representatives, the Magna Carta, John Lock, William
Shakespeare..need I go on?

"Some English customs are partitioning the countries of other peoples and
then
killing, maiming, deporting the natives, wiping out their languages and
taxing them into submission."

Yes, and those good Anglo-Irishmen, who consisted of both English planters,
Old English nobles, and native wealthy Irishmen are a great representation
of the average English Dalesman who never set foot in Ireland. Forget the
fact that the English don't view Englishmen in Ireland as English, or that
many of the Anglo-Irish were originally Catholic and sold their people out
for a place in high society and took advantage of their underlings just
like the rest of their peers. Forget that the Society of Friends, who
counted many English planters among them, did good charity for the
Catholics during the famine. I'm pretty sure Wolf Tone had some English
ancestors as well.

By the way, Ireland was rarely, if ever, under the control of one sovereign
ruler. I could also argue that the island never had one specific culture or
ethnicity. The statutes of Kilkenny dating from the Fourteenth century
speak against Anglo-Norman subjects marrying native Irish. Guess what,
those same French speaking Anglo-Normans are still in Ireland today, and
they're NOT loyalists. What about the Danes? What about people from the
areas now known as Galloway and Cumbria settling freely in Ulster since,
well, the dawn of time?

England was not the only country interested in colonization either, and it
wasn't Henry or Elizabeth's plantation that was the most successful, it was
the one brought about by James I who was originally the King of Scots.

Old English, New English, Old Irish, Ulster Scots, are just variants of
Irish ness. All of them committed atrocities, some more than others. People
do horrible things to each other whether they're black, Irish,
Scandinavian, French, Arabian, etc. Blaming evil on one ethnicity or one
specific group of people is off base and blatantly wrong, especially when
you consider we all came from the fertile crescent.

I can only hope my reply doesn't get me kicked off the list, as I find it a
valuable resource, but I really can't stand these "I hate one entire
culture, political party, ethnic group" statements.

Stephen Scott

--- Stephen Scott
---
--- "The hunter of the shadows is rising..."

This thread: