Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-03 > 0984688293

From: Deborah Davidson <>
Subject: [Scotch-Irish] Dowlings in Antrim
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:31:33 -0800

Hello.

In the past I've made a request for any info. on James Dowling in
Antrim born about 1768 who became a school teacher in England and came
to New York and married in 1809. I've had very little luck tying him in
Antrim. Since my last check with the group I've been in contact with a
distant relative of James Dowling who thru her thorough research has
been able to tell me James Dowling's father's name-- that was supplied
from an old personal letter that another member of the family has in
their possession.

The name I'm looking for now is John Peter Dowling father of James
Dowling. I've been sent a copy of a census for householders " Parish of
Ballentoy 1766" Papist Protestants (supplied by the records office in
Dublin). He is listed as #19 (Mr. Jn Peter Dowlin). It does turn out
that there were indeed Dowling's in Antrim in the 1700's and after many
brick walls I am wondering if the spelling of the last name on the
census is one that was used in Scotland more often than England and
could anyone look up do a look up for the name John Peter Dowling or
Dowlin.

Any information would be very much appreciated.
Thank You
Debbie in Oregon

This thread: